Monday, September 29, 2008

3 Minute Zen Zone -- October 2nd, 2008

My blog is about self-discovery and the realization that the journey of self-discovery requires you to sit down, really think about what you are doing and why. The coolest part is that as I go down this path of self-discovery -- I actually find that I am able to reach out to those around me more.

I started this journey almost 2 years ago -- quite by accident. I love talking about it with my friends and I've often spoken about it in class but I was fortunate enough to be enrolled in a corporate leadership building series -- once a month seminars to help us work more truthfully -- not a question of integrity but being true to ourselves and opening up to allow ourselves to have the hard discussions -- which are always more productive in the end.

The beginning of that series was so hard -- it was so tough to face the fact that I was the only one that could take responsibility for me. I loved those days at the same time -- it was a time when these seminars were the only place that I felt that I could be creative, be spontaneous, be "out of the box". I was so exhilarated -- even though I would often feel like crying.

My pivotal moment was when I was standing in my Family Room, just standing there -- and I looked at my husband and said "I'm so unhappy and I know that I am the only one that can fix it". It was after that that my courage began to return, that my spirit began to come back, that I started really mapping out a life path and facing the fear to take a risk. It feels like a million years ago -- but it was only 18 months ago.

As far as I feel that I have come, I know that it is only the beginning of the journey -- I will never finish but I was always be close.

If you want to start your own journey start by thinking about these questions:

Do you spend some time each day thinking about where the day is taking you?
Are you doing something for you that enables you to say "I am living life to the fullest"?

Do you stop and think about your work / life balance?
Do you sit and wish that you'd "just tried that new path"?



Stop wishing -- start doing! Even one small step moves you forward. My small step today is writing this blog. What was yours?

My 3 minutes are up for today...
but what about tomorrow?
jal

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere!

Beautiful post. Self-discovery is just one of the gifts blogging will give you.

Thank you for sharing your story. I look forward to being in the zone with you.

Daniel A. DeYoung said...

I do not reflect too often on myself and where I'm going, but I do try to always answer yes to your question ("I am living life to the fullest"?), but I probably should be more concerned with a work / life balance in my life.

Walter Loco's Schupnik said...

Jeri:

I liked to read your post about the 3 minute Zen zone. You put me to think. For a little while I have being thinking about the balance of my life, I feel great about must things in my life but there is something that tells me that I am not as a good husband and father as I should. I need to dedicate more time to my loveones before is too late. I promised this will be my last formal studies, the price is too high.

How has being this last 18 months to you?

I am happy because this week I took 3 hours to dedicate them to my son (my wife was travelling with the baby). The price was to work in school homework until 2:30, but it worth it.

Thanks

Walter

Coaching you on ... said...

Jeri,

Perhaps you should think about giving us a week Zen Zone moment in class ... reminding us to find that balance between life and work. Thank you for reminding me, and I'm sure your peers thank you, too! -- Prof. Cheryl Fabrizi