Sunday, October 5, 2008

It makes it all worth it!

When I was pregnant with my daughter, I thought a lot about what kind of mother I wanted to be. I had/have a great friend that used to read tons of books on child-rearing and I absorbed what made sense and let what didn't just go through from one ear to the other.

But one thing that I absolutely knew was that I was going to do my best to let her know how unbelievably important she was to me. I have always made it a practice to set aside what I was doing -- if it wasn't earth shattering, to listen to what she has to say. I don't always STOP everything, and she knows it, but when I can, I do. I only have her for a short while and then she will be on her own -- I owe her my respect and attention.

And, this weekend, she paid me back.

We had talked about using Friday to watch our week's worth of shows that are DVR'd because both of us are busy with work/school during the week. About an hour into it, she got a phone call from a girlfriend that wanted to chat. The first words out of her mouth? "I've got to get off the phone, I'm having "catch up" night with my Mom". And she got off the phone.

What's my step forward today? You simply never know how your giving is going to be given back, but you should rest assured that it will be worth it. And, you should not be afraid to give -- even if it is "only time" or "only undivided attention" for a couple of minutes.

No comments: